I have really vivid memories of our Montoya family camping trips to Highland's Hammock and Long Pond in Florida. I always liked having our extended family nearby growing up and doing things like that was always a treat to me. Building campfires, going on hikes, eating at those plywood tables under the big blue tarp, having Sacrament meeting all by ourselves, canoeing and swimming in scary, weedy water, seeing my aunts without make-up-- all very memorable. :) Maybe someday when our kids are a little older Aaron and I will muster the courage to help them make memories like that, too.
1984
One trip I remember with the Anderson clan is kind of sketchy, but the part I remember most is being loaded into someone's vehicle with a bunch of garbage can lids and such, with the intention of going sledding somewhere. Somebody (I think it was Bryce) got carsick and threw up, which triggered Keith's severe gag reflex and he threw up. Did we even end up sledding after that?
Getting to visit Grandma and Grandpa Anderson's house in California was more than exciting for me. I loved exploring that room with the bi-fold doors and bunk beds. That's where they kept the old toys that belonged to Dad and our aunts and uncles. We'd play in the backyard, digging around in Grandma's flower beds looking for snails and marvelling that they could pick avocados in their very own backyard, or hang out in Grandpa's study and laugh at the "Be a lert" and "Ask me how smart I are" signs. It's fantastic that the sights and smells from my childhood are still there today, which make me recall those trips as a kid and bring the same giddiness when I walk through the door.
1986


I could probably list a dozen other memories without having to think too hard, but I don't want to make this too long.
5 comments:
Holy crap, I remember the avocado thing! I don't remember specifics, but I clearly recall being grossed out at what was inside that ugly looking fruit.
Yeah, that was me that spewed. I think it was because we were riding backward in somebody's huge wagon monster. I think we were in northern Cali somewhere.
FYI: That California trip was Christmas 1985. I was VERY pregnant with Kimberly (in fact, I was concerned if they would let me on the plane that huge). I was sorry for the occupants of the station wagon, but glad I wasn't in there with you guys or I might have hurled too!
We DID get to go sledding up in the Sierras; we have pictures. It was at a cabin of somebody's relative/friend of Jan's we think. Just a daytrip, but for you kids from Florida, it was a lot of fun.
Mom
Holy crap, I remember the spewing too! If it was really '85, that is probably my earliest memory. Wow, thats kinda sad. My first memory was of a puking party in the back of a station wagon. But if it was 1985, that should have been Todd in the belly right?
I think that was the same trip when I took a snowball in the ear and somebody (dad?) had to dig it out with a key. That was amazingly painful. It is strange that our most vivid memories are the most unpleasant ones.
Post a Comment