Saturday, October 31, 2009

To Appendix Thanks for Everything - or - Hey Darwin! Finches Are Great but What About My Vestigial Organs?

This is a little late in coming, but I wanted to catch everyone up on what has been going on over here. Unfortunately, Rachelle had surgery this week to remove her appendix. The appendectomy went well and she is home resting for the week. Sunday night, she started complaining of a stomach pain that had localized on her right side by Monday morning. She decided to go see a doctor, who then sent her to an imaging specialist, who then sent us to a general surgeon, who then sent us to the ER, who then sent us to ... well, they didn't send us anywhere, they just let us sit for hours and hours. They decided to remove her appendix Tuesday evening because it had become inflamed and was causing her a great deal of pain. She is still a little uncomfortable but seems to be feeling much better. For better or worse, I feel like this has given us a real appreciation for how unexpectedly life can change things.

And now, a quick rant. So, I want to know why, after thousands of years of evolution, do we still have useless body parts that do nothing but cost money and pain? Wisdom teeth, tonsils, the appendix - why are these things still lingering around like an unwanted house guest that can't take a hint? I would rather have kept the tail or the claws.

Well, despite all my irritation, Rachelle is doing well and I feel extremely grateful that nothing went seriously wrong. She is such a trooper, and even though we didn't have a very good experience with the hospital, she is trying to stay positive. So, now we have a new and improved Rachelle, a model for the future of mankind - free of all those useless things that just weigh us down.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Keith, your comment about how you'd rather have kept the tail or claws made me laugh! Reminded me of you as a kid, for some reason.

Anderson Family said...

We're sooooo glad that Rachelle is feeling better now! We wish her a speedy recovery and no more trips to the ER! This is one for the "For Better or For Worse" chronicles--you held up nicely Mr. Anderson.

Love to you both,
Mom

Keith said...

My wanting claws and a tail remind you of me as a child? Was I weird like that? I remember living in my fantacies all the time, but I thought I kept that to myself. But, yes, the truth is to this day I would love to have a tail.

Anderson Family said...

Dad here. Your question about evolution can be answered with another question. "If evolution is true, why don't mothers have 4 arms?" I didn't make that line up, but it's a valid point. Anyway, hope you're feeling better, Rachelle. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Keith said...

Ha, thats a good point dad. Or at least claws and tails. That would have kept me in line.