Wednesday, May 13, 2009

It's tee ball season!

Pyper has recently begun her second foray into "organized" sports. I say "organized", but how organized is 5-year-old tee ball, really? One of the moms from our preschool group mentioned tee ball to me a few months ago when Pyper was still doing indoor soccer. I remember playing tee ball and baseball as a kid and having tons of fun. (Don't make fun- I had no control over my style at this age!)



I asked Pyper if she'd like to play and she seemed interested so we signed her up. She's had 3 practices so far and I'm really not sure how much of it she actually gets. It's obvious that she's enjoying herself, though. She gets to be silly with her friend, burn off some energy and she even got a new hat, team shirt, baseball pants, mitt & ball out of it (we bought the pants, mitt & ball). Her team is the Giants and she wears her hat EVERY. DAY. I think she even slept in it the first night she got it.

Another thing I'm not sure of is just how serious this league takes their games. With soccer they didn't even keep score. They just wanted all the kids to get to play and have a good time running around. I guess we'll see how it goes with this. Her first game is in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that will give them some time to learn a few more things.





There are a few older boys on the team who have obviously played before, but she doesn't mind. She was so funny at the first practice. I was trying to teach her how to throw by showing her that you step with your left foot as you throw with your right hand. Of course that got her thinking about it too much which made it even harder to do it the right way. She eventually got it, though. Then when they were running the bases at the end she decided that she needed to catch up with everyone in front of her and skipped first base all together and headed straight for second. She'll figure it out. I know she will. In the meantime she can have a grand time playing and we can have a grand time laughing. :)

5 comments:

Aaron Hillgrove said...

She was sleeping in her hat last night.

Bryce 'n Dena said...

I love the pink glove. Those pictures of you playing really bring back some memories.

Sarah said...

I was really tempted to put some of you on here, too. You actually looked like you knew what you were doing! :)

Anderson Family said...

Sarah may or may not remember this, but during her very first practice 'at bat', when the player after her hit the ball and it rolled on the ground in front of her, she stopped to pick it up and throw it home as she was running from first base to second! She got better...

Ah, memories!

Mom

ToDd said...

i think i was on the giants one summer in north carolina. but what i really remember is being a ranger for the few years i played in auburndale. i remember my orange bat too.