Monday, May 25, 2009

Competitive running

I ran my first 5k today and things went pretty well. I did the Cotton Row Run which is a 30 year Memorial Day tradition in Huntsville. I've never done a race on foot before, so it was a little intimidating. I ended up finishing strong and feeling good. My official time was a 22:35, but the photo of me clearly shows that I was well across the line with a 22:34. I finished 82nd overall out of 1677 and 6th in my age group (25-29) out of 70. Not bad for a first time. I think I could have gone a little faster if I had been a little more diligent in my training. The race day kind of snuck up on me, so I didn't really do much to prepare until the last week or so. My shins and calves were getting pretty sore by the time I finished, but I wasn't really all that tired. It's probably not something I'm going to get really into, but I might do it once or twice a year.



And in this week's episode of Zoey being a nut, we have her playing with our friend's Great Dane Patton. He's 5 times her size, but she uses her agility to try to out maneuver him.




I also meant to include this video a while ago, but I keep forgetting. It's from an Avett Brothers concert that Dena and I went to in April down in Birmingham. This is the end of the song that is the source of the quote at the top of the blog. The song is called "Murder in the City" if you're wondering. The title sounds a little dark and gruesome, but it's actually very touching. You can watch their video on YouTube if you want to hear the whole thing HERE.


4 comments:

ToDd said...

i'm really, truly impressed with your run. i couldn't even run a half K or J or anything. great job.

Anderson Family said...

Hey! Great job!! Your dad HATES to run and will only do it if he REALLY has to. I used to like to run in high school, but now my shins hurt if I try. I'm proud of you for trying something new and doing so well at. Sorry I didn't respond sooner--I just checked the Blog today (didn't realize it had been so long...)

Mom

Keith said...

You're the man Bryce, I don't know how you did that run.

We are going to see the Avett Brothers in August and I really can't wait. Were you that close at the concert?

Bryce 'n Dena said...

I was a little surprised myself. A little adrenalin and having something to chase helps a lot.

Yeah we were only about 8-10 standing rows back in the pit. We got to the venue before they even opened it up, so we were in the first wave of people to go in. Of course that also meant standing around for and hour and a half waiting for the concert to start.