
Well, I’ve been seriously delinquent in posting lately, so I’d better get to it. The big event I have missed, of course, is Kimberly going into the MTC. We went up on Tuesday the 3rd and spent the night with my cousins Blake and LuAnn in Orem. We still had a little shopping and running around to do in the morning, but we got her to the MTC about 11:00 and got her checked in. After dropping off her luggage, they have the missionaries go in one door and the families go in another. Both doors go into the same lobby, but the missionaries go to a counter, check in, get their name tags and meal cards and then come back to the families. Mom got to pin her name tag on her.

Then we all went into a large room (chapel) and waited for the room to fill (about 20 minutes). In the meantime, they were showing the Mormonad TV commercials on a screen up front, which I didn’t think was fair. How am I not going to get choked up when they are showing those things? Anyway, they started the meeting by singing “Called to Serve” (very loud) and we heard from the MTC mission president and his wife. His wife held up the book Preach My Gospel (missionary lessons and guidelines) and asked if anyone had memorized the purpose on the front page of the book (implying that they should have). An elder behind us raised his hand and she asked him to recite it. He did pretty well, but got stuck a couple of times and finally gave up. Then Kimberly raised her hand, got called on and asked if she could sing it. She’d learned it to a song in her mission prep class at BYUI. So there she stood in front of several hundred people and sang this purpose song. I don’t think shyness or fear of people is going to be an issue on her mission. Anyway, they closed the meeting and had the missionaries leave through one set of doors and the families through another set, and that was goodbye. It was a great experience and we’re excited for her. She’s excited as well and I’m sure she will do a great job as a missionary.

Bye the way, she has requested lots of mail. Don't know if she can access the blog while on her mission, so it might be a good idea for you to print out your posts and mail them to her along with a note. :).
As for us here at the park, things are much the same. We've gotten a lot of snow lately, which for me means lots of shoveling plowing and grooming. Iwas up on the mountain last Sunday night and noticed a truck and trailer parked in the parking lot there at Midway. I later found out that the couple it belonged to had gotten separated and stranded. They didn't start looking for them until Tuesday, at which point I pretty much gave up hope on them. Three days up on that mountain? I know I would have died. But on Wednesday, just before they were ready to shift the search area to another place, a helicopter happened to see them just over the ridge from the command post at Midway and they were rescued. Both in good shape, although the woman may have some frostbite on her feet. I wasn't invoved in the search, though Frank and Brian helped with it. I was feeling a little bad about not doing anything about the truck after seeing it still there on Sunday night, but there are always cars and trucks parked there and it just isn't possible to check on them all. I'm just glad they were ok and things worked out good for them. I was back up last night and a storm moved in on me and I was just about whited out a couple of times. Between the snow and the wind, I got pretty turned around a couple of times. I'll close with a picture of the storm moving in from the west with the sun going down behind it. Hope all of you have a good Valentines Day and Presidents weekend all wrapped up into one. Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment