On Saturday morning my friend and colleague Gib, who had been here for two weeks before me, came into Seoul to head home the next day. Gib is transferring to our plant near Austin, Texas and will be gone before I get back so this was going to be the last time I saw him for a while. We had fun exploring the city.
On Sunday morning Gib had to go to the airport to head home and I had to go to Icheon, about an hour southeast of Seoul.
Nothing really happens during the week, just work mostly. So I'll skip that part.
Saturday I decided to head back to Seoul and explore a little more. The have a really nice public transit system here including lots and lots of buses that run all over the country. I can hop on a fairly nice bus in Icheon that leaves every 30 minutes and be in Seoul in an hour for about $4.
The next place I visited was the Olympic Park, built for the 1988 Olympics. Some of you might be old enough to remember that. I didn't really get many interesting pictures there, but it was a pretty cool place. It's a huge park with lots of grassy fields and trails as well as the event venues from the Olympics.
Once I got to the top of the mountain, I bought a ticket and took the elevator to the observation deck of the tower. It was one of the most amazing views I've ever taken in. I just wish the air had been a little clearer. It's amazing how big this city is.
On the way back down the mountain after the sun was setting, the city really started to light up. These were some of my favorite pictures.
After coming down from the mountain I wanted to go see Myeongdong, a famous shopping area. To be honest it wasn't really my thing. It was insanely crowded and I don't really like shopping anyway. I grabbed a bite to eat (at Outback) and headed back to the bus station. I was sure to check their website to find out what time the last bus back to Icheon left and it said 10PM. So I figured that leaving for the bus by 7:45 should give me plenty of time. I got to the bus station by 8:20 and found a big sign that I hadn't seen when I first arrived that listed the departure cities. I was a little shocked and surprised when that sign said the last bus was at 8:40. So what I thought was plenty of time ended up being the skin of my teeth. Thankfully I didn't have to spend an unplanned night in Seoul or fork out for an $80 cab ride.
Well, that's too much typing for one sitting. I'll try to update a little more later if I do anything interesting. For now it's time to go get some food.
5 comments:
It's Sunday morning here in Utah and I am getting ready for Primary, but I was so glad to hear from you! Thanks!! One week down, two more to go...
I'm glad you got to do some exploring though. What an awesome view from that tower in Seoul! Dad will especially appreciate the pic of the soda can--too funny.
Mom
Anyong!
I don't know if it as supposed to or not, but that made me laugh. :)
Thanks for such an awesome post about your trip- I've been wondering how it's been going for you. Good for you for venturing out by yourself to do some sightseeing. It would definitely be a shame to go somewhere so fascinating to just work and sit in a hotel room.
I know Dena & the pets miss you terribly and vice versa, but I hope you're able to enjoy your next couple of weeks and keep us updated with what you're doing.
Your pictures are great! Hope you are having a good time and can't wait to hear more from you soon.
Dad here. What I want to know is does the mah-oon-teen-doo taste the same? :) Anyway, hope the trip is enjoyable for you. I assume there's someone at the plant with enough English to help you do your work there and get along. Keep the news coming and have fun while you're there.
The standard greeting here is actually anyong-haseyo and they pretty much swallow the anyong part. I'm actually glad they do, otherwise I would completely lose it every time somebody said hi.
Yeah, the Mountain Dew tastes pretty much the same. There may be some subtle differences that a connoisseur such as yourself could detect, but I couldn't.
The english is pretty spotty, but we can eventually get across what we need to.
Post a Comment