Monday, February 15, 2010

One more time

I just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm going through the process of donating bone marrow again. Actually they want to do a different process this time where I'm treated with a drug (Filgrastim) that causes me to produce an abundance of stem cells that are then filtered out of my blood. You can read more here: LINK. The recipient is a 64 year old male with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. The procedure is tentatively scheduled for the 3rd week in March. Hopefully it will all go well.

-Bryce

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow- just from what I read on that link it sounds like this procedure will be much less uncomfortable for you than last time, right? It's just a matter of having your blood drawn? At least I hope so.

Anyway, we'll be thinking about you when the time comes and pray that all goes smoothly. I have so much respect for you and your decision to be so generous to a stranger- it's inspiring.

Bryce 'n Dena said...

It's more like having blood drawn for several hours continuously, but yeah I should recover faster. I just really hate needles. There's also a pretty good chance that I experience bone pain (whatever that is) during the days leading up to the procedure.

Anderson Family said...

I agree with Sarah--you are a hero, though I'm sure that is not why you are doing it. As for the needles, I have one piece of advice: close your eyes!!!

Mom

Bryce 'n Dena said...

Close my eyes for 6 hours? They did say they can give me a sedative if I want. I want.

Anderson Family said...

Dad here. Sounds like a better time than the last one. And it sounds better than whats going on in Phoenix right now. A friend of mine has had a bad liver for some time and they have finally worked out that his son can donate a portion of his good liver to his dad. So the son (who has been on his mission for about 6 months) went in yesterday and had part of his liver removed and transplanted into his dad. Supposedly, the procedures went well and they seem to be doing fine. Hope it works out for both of them. And I hope it works out well for both of you, too. We're proud of your willingness to help others in this way. It's pretty special.