Monday, August 24, 2009

Of Birthdays, Back To School & Blogging...

I remember when I was younger, that my mother would say to me, “Don’t try to grow up so fast!” That must have been back when I knew ‘everything’ and was so ready to get on with life… Now I realize that I don’t know ‘everything’ (but I have raised some smart kids who do), and despite my efforts NOT to grow up—I did! This has been an eventful year for me—thankfully, all good stuff for my kids: sending a daughter on a mission, a new grandson, two sons marrying their sweethearts (which means two more daughters), my first born turning 30 and my baby starting her senior year of high school!

I did some calculations the other day and realized that this will be the 25th year that Dad and I have had at least one child in public school! Bryce was 4 years old his first day of kindergarten, turning 5 like the next day, I think. He looked so small to me, but he was smart enough to keep up with the best of them.

This past Thursday, Jennifer had her last ‘first day of school’ picture taken; Sarah likely was taking Pyper’s FIRST ‘first day of school’ picture at the same time and she is starting a new phase in her life as a mother.

I admit that I am getting a misty eyed, reflecting on all the blessings I have—not the least of which is my six children, and now their spouses and grandchildren! Forgive me if I wax nostalgic these days, but FAMILY is what it is all about, and I don’t regret a single minute of the sacrifice and hard work it took to be a mother, because I have the best family ever—perhaps in spite of, and not because of me!! How did I get so lucky?!?

Mom, I’m not trying to grow up too fast any more, but it would seem that all of a sudden my kids are! So I will enjoy their milestones, rejoice in their accomplishments, be happy for the years of joy that they have given me—and look forward to the fun ride that lies ahead!!

So, in honor of Bryce’s birthday 'milestone', here are a few parting photos…enjoy the memories! Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I love you guys!
Mom








2 comments:

Sarah said...

Mom, all I can say is that YOU'RE THE BEST!!!

Keith said...

I have to say, I got a little misty eyed myself. It is easy to lose track of time gone by, I always love looking back at old pictures. Happy birthday Bryce, and thank you mom, you are the best.