Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Google Voice

First of all, Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad. If you guys agree to celebrating your 30th for a few more years then I'll agree to stay 29 for a while. Sound good?

I just thought I'd take some time to share a little with you guys about a new toy I've been playing with that you may or may not have heard about. Google Voice is currently in an "invite" stage, but all you have to do is give them your e-mail address an wait a few days to get your invite. Once you have that, you select a gVoice number to get started. You then associate all your other phone numbers (home, cell, work, etc.) with the account. From here there are almost limitless options to customize how it works for you. Whenever someone calls your gVoice number you can decide how the call is routed. You can have all or none or any other combination of your phones ring depending on who is calling, the time of day, or even day of the week. One of the coolest things you can do is that it lets you make free long distance calls anywhere in the US if you can access your account from a computer. All you do is tell it who you want to call and on what phone. gVoice calls you on the phone that you select, then as soon as you answer, the call is connected to the other line. They also say they have very good rates on international calls, although I don't make any international calls so I don't really know what a good rate is. You can also send text messages for free from your interface.

I'm still just starting to play around with it, but I think as it starts to catch on it will become a pretty commonplace. There are a ton of other uses that I'm not going to go into since there are lots of people out there that can explain it better than me. Let me know if any of you decide to try it out (or if you are already using it).


-Bryce

4 comments:

Anderson Family said...

Sounds interesting, but I see a problem for us. When we go online to tell it who we want to call, it can't call us back to make the call because we're probably still online tying up the phone! Let us know how it works for you. Dad

Bryce 'n Dena said...

Oh yeah, good point.

Bryce 'n Dena said...

If you want to call me, you could always use it to send me a text to call you back.

Aaron Hillgrove said...

I requested an invite... now I can get even more behind at work while i play around with this :)