Around 3am last night, Rachelle and I woke up to the sound of rushing water over our heads. At some point during the night, a poorly installed pipe finally gave way and water from the bathroom in the apartment upstairs flooded down into our bedroom. The water was pouring down from the smoke detector and a patch of ceiling that had already experienced some previous water damage. First of all, I hope none of you ever have to wake up to this because it is not one of those things you expect when you go to bed and it sucks. Looking back on it, I'm sure the whole scene was pretty comical, us running around looking for something to hold the water, tripping over Molly, freezing from the water falling everywhere. Anyway, I don't know how much water actually got in on us, but between the two holes in the ceiling, the water running down the walls (that I painted not 24 hours before this little fiasco) and the water flowing around the electrical outlets, it ended up being quite a bit. We filled a 47 liter Rubbermaid bin in less than 8 min. from one of the holes in the ceiling. So now we will be sleeping in the living room with all of our belongings for the next 5 days so the carpet can be ripped up and the floors dried out. If this all sounds like a rant just to get people to feel sorry for me, that is exactly what it is. Bring it on!
Other than all that crap, things are going well and we are trying to remember that the whole thing could have happened while we were gone or something much worse like that. All in all, it is more of an inconvenience than anything else. Just remember to mind your pipes boys and girls.
5 comments:
I'm so sorry... that's terrible. If it makes you feel any better, i had a pretty long morning, too. Go look at my blog and pity me! :) haha
I'm going to join this pitty party... today i went to the dentist thinking i would be in and out to get a filling replaced. 3 hours later i walked out with a terribly painful root canal done and a future filled with more dentist visits. Work was also filled with its own troubles but nothing compared to that drilling noise that is still ringing in my head.
I imagine that's a pretty unpleasant way to be awoken. But your right, I'll bet it would have been hilarious to have been an uninvolved 3rd party observer, except maybe with Owen Wilson playing the part of you. Zany! Do you guys have renters insurance to cover damage to your stuff?
We do have renters insurance but none of our personal property was damaged ... unfortuantely. After everything had calmed down, I considered piling a bunch of stuff under the leak or sopping up the floor with my bed so I could get some new stuff. But I thought better of it.
But insurance fraud is such a fun felony. Uh, I mean good for you for doing the right thing.
Post a Comment